Preah Khan translates to the Royal Sword or the Holy Sword and is a 12th century Buddhist temple. The temple was built by King Jayavarman VII to honour his father and was built on site of the victory over the invading Cham armies in 1191 AD. The temple is one of the largest created during the Khmer empire and measures an area of 56 hectares. The unrestored temple with trees and vegetation growing through the structure makes for great photography.
Preah Khan is located just north of the ancient city of Angkor Thom. Banteay Prei and Prasat Prei are located north of Preah Khan. To the east is Neak Pean and Krol Ko. At the opposite end of Jayatataka baray is Ta Som temple.